06 May 2006

Book Log 2006 #18: Annapolis by William Martin

Martin writes multi-generational historical fiction that usually pits one family against another as they sqabble over some sort of historical artifact that may have a secret attached to it. Most of his books take place in this neck of the woods (such as Back Bay and Cape Cod), but here Martin goes down the coast to tell the story of two Maryland families who are squabbling over a house. The secret is now related to the families rather than the house itself.

Inasmuch as this book uses the same formula as the ones before it, I was not as able to get into this one as the others. I assume setting plays a role, as I live in Massachusetts and can picture the locations in the other books. I've never been to Annapolis, and thus don't have that hook.

But I also found the mystery and the squabble over the house less interesting than the mystery and conflicts in the earlier books. Maybe it's familiarity with how Martin's books work, or maybe I just didn't think that the people involved were worth taking interest in. It fit the bill for the commute, but I was as much reading to finish the story as I was out of interest in it (though some of the subplots about naval life were pretty good).

2 comments:

Scott Monty said...

Another one in this genre that you'd probably enjoy: London, by Edward Rutherford. It takes place over two millennia, from Roman times to the present.

Paul Crowley said...

I'm a big William Martin fan. I'll agree this one lacked the suspense and pull of his other books. He returned to a more familiar theme with his latest, Harvard Yard. I'll think you'll enjoy it!

Following one of your earlier reviews, 1776, you may enjoy another recent Martin book, Citizen Washington. A very interesting take on our founding father, told as a third person recount from one of Washington's slaves.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...