29 May 2006

Sorry for the radio silence, but up until the weekend a combo of work and not much to say conspired against posting (at least here). The work thing was kind of a surprise, though I should have seen it coming. Between the end of the school year and the start of our busiest graduation cycle (Wentworth's main graduation is in August), there's been no shortage of things to do. We may also have a significantly larger graduating class than last August, which just adds to the fun.

We spent the weekend in Maine, and didn't do too much of interest. Made our usual pilgrimage to Bangor for some shopping, and I hit the links with my father in law on Sunday. This may be the first time I've golfed before Memorial Day. If the results were any indication, I'm better off waiting. It was just a horrid, brutal outing. Good thing we only played 9 holes.

We also learned that there are now piglets for sale at my in-laws' house. Well, not really, but there's a sign saying so in the front yard. You see, some guy is developing condos on some neighboring land, and he's been yanking my father-in-law's chain over various issues. The latest thing he did was rat on the town for a trailer that's on my in-laws' property, and has been for years. But they apparently need a permit for it, which is interesting given that it's been on the property in a very obvious location and no one from the town has said boo about it. So my father-in-law had to pay a nominal fee to get a permit.

In return, though, he decided to put up this "piglets for sale" sign, theorizing that potential buyers may not want to live so close to swine. My father-in-law is expecting the sign to disappear one night. As you might expect, though, he's got plenty of paint and material for future signs.

Anyway, in our travels today we did get to see three things we'd never seen before:

1. An almost-fully skeletonized animal at the side of the road. Not sure what sort of animal it was; I'm thinking small deer.

2. A combo ice cream drive-in and flowers store. We didn't stop, but I'm sure their azalea ripple is tasty - when it's in season.

3. A dog wearing goggles riding in a motorcycle sidecar. No helmet, which I suppose isn't required. And unless there's a little leather doggie jacket involved, the helmet probably wouldn't do much good, either.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...