19 January 2007

So, anyway, there are a couple of football games this weekend.

NFC - as much as I feel for the people of New Orleans, I am getting a bit sick of the Team of Healing story line for the Saints. It's a little too reminiscent of the post-9/11 Patriots as Team of Destiny vibe, as both are understandable but liable to wear thin over time.

And while I hate to be a party pooper, I do tend to think that the Saints won't win in Chicago. Not sure why, as the Saints clearly have enough offense and a strong enough defense, and there's always an even chance or better that Rex Grossman is going to implode.

I suppose I'm going based on the lack of success dome teams have out in the open when it's cold. Sunday's forecast for Chicago says snowy and 30 degrees, which sounds like it could be problematic, even for a team whose top pass and catch tandem played at Purdue and Hofstra.

AFC - in stating the case for the Colts, Len Pasquarelli called them a team of destiny. He didn't have much of a rationale, which is understandable, as there is none. Clearly, if anyone gets a break from destiny this year, it's the Saints.

His other points were more reasonable - the Pats injuries at DB and the Colts vertical passing game, and the Colts now having the NFL's pre-eminent clutch kicker on their roster. The Colts also get to play this game at home, which can't hurt.

But I'm still going for the Pats, because I'm a total homer. I think the Pats are smart enough to know that they can't just beat the Colts with the run, and that they've got the defensive coaching talent to throw some things at Manning that he's not seen on film. I'd also like to think that the secondary will actually execute that game plan, and that Asante Samuel takes Ty Law's place as chief Manning tormentor. But that may be wishful thinking.

I also hope that the Pats win on a Gostkowski field goal. Nothing against Vinatieri, but after hearing about that story every game, it'd be nice to shut people up about it.

1 comment:

The Grim Reaper said...

Obviously, I sickened of the Saints storyline much earlier. Third and one to Thomas Tapeh? Seriously? My brother and I like to play the conspiracy showdown and figured that the NFL needs another white superstar and Manning wasn't going to earn that distinction until he won some hardware, so they took their thumb off the Saints scale and started tipping it for the Colts.

For the Super Bowl, I guess I'm rooting for the Colts because I can't bring myself to root for Rex Grossman. And I don't really like Baltimorons all that much, so an Indy win would really stick in their craw.

Chris

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...