19 June 2007

Book Log 2007 #24: The Eagle's Throne by Carlos Fuentes

Set in a not too distant future, Mexico's communications are cut off by an irritated American government, forcing the players in the Mexican government to do the unthinkable: communicate by written word. As this epistolary novel unfolds, we get to see the palace intrigue surrounding the current president and who will replace him - either at the end of his term or before, depending on who is doing the scheming.

I found it hard to get into this book, given the density of the writing and the somewhat rickety way characters and action have to be introduced due to the format. Once it got going this was less of a problem, though I never feel like I fully connected. Which I guess is appropriate, because with all the scheming and plotting the connections between the characters are never fully formed, either.

Not being particularly well versed on Mexican politics I can't speak to the way the book projects the legacy of the PRI's long-time rule, though I think the idea that the impacts are negative and long-term is pretty accurate. The portraits of what power does to people are pretty familiar, though couched in some well-crafted language.

Not sure if I'd recommend this or not. The format should work well for commuting, but I found myself having to go back quite a bit to remind myself about characters and plot points. Better suited to reading when you have time to focus and aren't distracted by the usual commuting stuff, I think.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...