16 June 2007

Book Log 2007 Extra: What I Was Reading Four Years Ago

I recently signed up for a new card at the Boston Public Library, and in the process of activating the new card I had to close two dormant accounts: the one I opened when I was in high school, and one that I opened when I was living out at Babson. Except that for the latter account, I also had to pay off overdue fines on five books that I'd taken out roughly four years ago. So what titles appeared in this little time capsule?

* Two, A Walk in the Woods and Notes From a Small Island are Bill Bryson books that I picked up after enjoying his book about Australia, In A Sunburned Country. All are recommended.

* I got less enjoyment out of Reefer Madness, Eric Schlosser's follow-up to Fast Food Nation, but I don't think it's the sort of book that's really supposed to be enjoyed. It was interesting, and I think the section on underground labor is worth some thought given the current immigration debate.

* The Harry Turtledove short story collection Counting Up, Counting Down was a mixed bag. I wasn't a fan of the title stories, but I did like "Deconstruction Gang" and a couple of the others not mentioned on this page.

* I'm not sure about the last book, but I think it was Beating the College Blues, which I would have taken out as a reference for a training session I had to give during RA training. I have no idea what that training was, or if it went well. Hope it was worth the $.40 in fines.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...