15 October 2007

Book Log 2007 #46, 47, and 48: The Hidden Assassins, The Blind Man of Seville, and The Vanished Hands, by Robert Wilson

I'd really liked the two books by Wilson that I'd previously read, so I was very happy to see a new book, The Hidden Assassins, appear at my local library.

It wasn't too far into the book that I started feeling that I was missing something. References to other cases and other characters were assuming that I knew about them, as there was little to no exposition to put them in context. But I kept reading, as I was enjoying the book quite a bit.

Of course, after I was done I did some checking and learned that I had actually read the third book in a series about Seville homicide detective Javier Falcon. So I went back and read the other two. Unlike some mystery series, it will be very helpful if you read these in order (The Blind Man of Seville, The Vanished Hands, and then The Hidden Assassins).

Falcon is one of the more interesting detectives to come along, and his personal history is as important in these books as the homicides he investigates. There is also an ongoing theme of life in a post-9/11 world, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about how that played out in the third book.

I very highly recommend the entire series.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...