23 August 2008

Book Log 2008 #33: Six Frigates by Ian Toll

This engaging history of the founding of the US Navy goes well beyond simply telling the story of the ships that formed the nucleus of the American fleet. It also puts the Navy into the context of American standing abroad and the internal struggle between federalists and republicans. The latter is more interesting, I think, as it's not the story you usually hear about this subject (at least based on my US history class in high school, where the fight against the Barbary states was the focus). I also appreciated the discussion of the Quasi War, which probably didn't get enough coverage in high school.

There's also a great deal of detail in the personal, especially in the men who not only captained these vessels but also had the responsibility of seeing them built. The story is especially interesting around the Chesapeake and the Philadelphia, the two ships which probably had the least success of the original fleet. Personally, I'd have liked more talk about Old Ironsides, but that's the homer in me coming out.

I'd be interested to hear if the US history teacher or US naval officer who are at least semi-regulars here have read this and what they thought of it. Speaking as a generalist, I'd happily recommend this book for anyone interested in early US history.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...