05 December 2012

Book Log 2012 #29: Making History by Stephen Fry

A middling graduate student and an aging physicist come together by chance(?) and concoct a plan to change history in one of the most predictable ways - prevent Adolph Hitler from being born. And as you might expect things do not go as planned.

I don't know what I was expecting from the book; Fry is well known as a comedic actor, so it would be natural to think that this would be a sci-fi comedy, but the comedic aspects of the book, while evident, aren't the focus. But there's enough comedy in the book that it doesn't read as it would if written in a typical alt-history style. The extent to which this works is probably very dependent on the individual reader. I thought it worked OK, not perfectly but enough to keep me reading.


No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...