08 December 2012

Book Log 2012 #30: Holmes on the Range by Steve Hockensmith

I'd heard of this book well before reading it, but knew little enough about it to think it was actually the relocation of Holmes and Watson to the American west. And, eventually, learned that it wasn't. Instead, we have a cowboy who, having read some Holmes stories, believes he can use the same deductive reasoning to solve actual mysteries. Such as why a local ranch has hired a large crew well past the point in the year where they'd need one. And, in the course of trying to sort this out, other mysteries - including a couple of murders - arise to complicate the original mystery.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I think the Holmes-Watson relationship was translated well into a western setting, both in how a cowboy detective would be received by his peers and in making the pair brothers, which I think gives them a stronger bond.

I'll be seeking out the second book in the series.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...