19 March 2019

Lentorama 2019: Resurrect My Globe!

Day 12: Andorra

Like Christmas carolers, but for Easter, groups of people will stop at houses and sing songs known as caramelles, often accompanied by music and dancing. I found one reference saying the songs were often profane, but can't find lyrics to confirm that (not that I can tell, what I am finding isn't in English).  Secular songs are also becoming common.

The singers have a basket on a pole, which they raise to get food or money from the people who live in the house. Whatever the singers take in is used towards a group meal.

While I've attributed the tradition to Andorra, it's common across Catalonia as well.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...