19 October 2001

In the short time that I've been doing this, I've come to realize that the whole computer thing passed me at some point. Not sure when, but I'm willing to bet it was about 1993, when I was mired with a Mac Classic that was behind the curve even when I bought it.

My inability to properly put up a link to Jon Couture's site, coupled with my apparent inability to set up the archive for this poor excuse for web content, really sent the message home. From interactions with co-workers I think I'm doing well for folks over 30 without a technical background.

But I do wonder how things would have turned out if I'd gone with computer science as a major. I'd like to think I'd be in Mark Cuban's shoes. For those of you who don't know him, he's the guy behind Real.com, who is worth umpteen billion dollars thanks to his getting out in time. He now owns the Dallas Mavericks. My dream here is fueled by the impending sale of the Red Sox, something along the lines of "Mad Internet Billionaire Coen Buys BoSox; Promises to have Duquette Publicly Flogged."

Come to think of it, that may be a new revenue stream for them. Five bucks a go, all money to defray the cost of releasing Carl Everett and bringing in Jason Giambi. Better still, trade Everett to, say, the Yakult Swallows for 8 or 9 pitching prospects.

Very little excitement in my life right now. I'm going to a Tupperware party tonight, with the plan to catch up with former colleagues who were invited. Except most of them aren't going. I do have a misplaced fascination with burping plastics, so the night may not be a total loss.

Funny headline at Boston.com this morning. It stated that US ground troops were on the ground in Afghanistan. Where else would ground troops be? In the clouds? I know, semantics and all, but it was one of those "master of the obvious" things.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...