19 September 2002

I'm going on vacation tomorrow. Woo hoo!

Heading down to Myrtle Beach, a city I've never been to that's in a state (South Carolina) that I've only driven/trained through.

This will be my first real "Southern" experience. I do not count all the times I've been to Florida, given all the former northerners who live there. Weekends spent in places like Atlanta and Chattanooga really don't count, either, as I didn't exactly mingle with the locals. I did spend four days camping in the Shenandoah Valley, but that's more Appalachian than Southern.

You don't hear much about the Confederate flag controversy anymore, do you? It's still there, and apparently the NAACP has been picketing tourist information centers trying to get folks to not spend money as a sign of protest. Not sure if that's the best route- if I'm already in South Carolina, how am I not going to spend money? Live on the beach and eat grasses and fish I catch with my hands?

In some cases, a partial economic boycott is already in place, given how many of the attractions I'd be likely to go to are already closed for the season. I don't think there's a water park within 30 miles of the place that's still running, and just one amusement park. I may have to settle for conning Sarah into a trip to the Rice Museum.

I suppose if all I get out of the vacation is a week of reading and using the pool I'll be happy. Just have to hope that Tropical Storm Isodore hangs out in the Gulf of Mexico. Weather is supposed to be sort of iffy anyway, but I don't know if I want my vacation extended because we're in a federally-designated disaster area.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...