27 October 2002

Anaheim Angels win World Series. Almost as odd sounding as New England Patriots win Super Bowl.

I wasn't really rooting for either team in this year's affair, but did lean towards the Giants. Not so much for Bonds, but for the other old-timers on the team- Santiago, Lofton, Dunston, and throw in Snow- who may not get another shot. Bonds will at least have his MVPs, home run chase, and sure Hall of Fame induction. He'll lament not having a ring if he never does get one, of course, but there's plenty of other stuff he can look to with pride about his career.

Speaking of which, I am a little piqued that Bonds didn't win Series MVP. I know, his team didn't win, but consider the numbers he put up over the Series, and the way the Angels avoided dealing with him at all costs. He did look a little lost in left field the last couple of games, but nothing egregious. Not that I'm pissed about it, but I think there's a case to be made.

I suppose the one way this win ticks me off is from the media angle. Pre-game coverage by Fox seemed decidedly pro-Anaheim (perhaps not surprising given their LA headquarters), and there was that shot of John Travolta hugging Michael Eisner at the end of the game. Ack.


No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...