09 October 2002

A couple of items from yesterday.

1. I was incredibly pissed off when I saw Bud Selig and Carl Polhad at the Metrodome last night taking in game 1 of the ACLS. It doesn't seem fair that a commissioner who wanted to OK the team's dissolution and the man who most stood to profit from it should get to enjoy the team's success. At the same time, though, I did feel like my anger was a little misplaced. I mean, of course, the commish and the home team's owner would be at the game. Where else would they be?

Selig is taking great pains to note that the idea of contracting the Twins was a decision made by all owners, which he had to spearhead as commissioner. I don't know if that makes things any better. For me, it underscores the reason why the commissioner needs to be independent of ownership and players. Why should I believe that Bud would do anything but support any move agreed to by his peer group? An independent commish may have to do the same thing, but that person would at least have the independent status to (a) act as devil's advocate to argue against contraction with the owners, and (b) have more public credibility to work out generally agreeable solutions.

As for Polhad, he really does remind me of a much older Rachel Phelps from Major League. I just hope there isn't a naked life-size cutout of him in the locker room. Has anyone started the rumor that Polhad was the model for Monty Burns?

Anyway, I was irritated, perhaps rightfully so, perhaps not.

2. Krispy Kreme has finally opened its first New England location. It's on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington, Connectict. Future stores are supposed to open elsewhere in the Nutmeg State, Rhode Island, and Medford, MA.

I have to admit, I really don't understand the hype. The doughnuts are OK. Fun to watch them go through the production line, but that's about it. I don't have that transcendent experience with the hot glazed ones that everyone else seems to have.

Then again, I'm not a fan of gushy, sticky, drippy foods. I don't really care for jelly, lemon, or boston creme doughnuts. The apple ones are OK, but the filling there is much thicker.

The one exception to this is a Greek dessert whose name escapes me, which is basically balls of fried dough soaked in honey. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I suppose I'm a Dunkin Donuts partisan, even though I don't drink coffee. I'm not claiming their doughnuts are perfection or anything, just that they tend to suit my tastes. Though they don't have a really good sugar doughnut, like the ones independent bakeries make. I used to work with a woman who, on her way to the office from Revere, would stop at a place and pick some up. I say again, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...