30 October 2002

Forgot to endorse someone in one race:

U.S. HOUSE - Stephen Lynch is the incumbent in my district (Massachusetts 9th), having won a special election last year to fill the seat of Joe Moakley, who passed away while in office. He is also running unopposed. I have no problem with Lynch per se, but would like to take this opportunity to invoke what's I'm calling the Silvio Conte Rule.

Conte represented the 1st district, based out in the western part of the state, from 1959 to 1991. He was, quite often, the only Republican in the Massachusetts delegation to the US House. From that, I've developed the rule in his honor, that a state with a delegation the size of Massachusetts' should always have at least one person from both parties. Even if there's only one of ten, it's nice to not have total domination by one side.

The reason I choose to invoke the rule here is that (a) it's my district, and thus of direct interest, and (b) there is actually a Republican I can endorse who lives in Southie like Lynch, so they don't lose the pride of having the Congressman come from the neighborhood. I just hope they don't mind that he's an Anglophile.

Blogalicious endorses: W. Scott Monty of South Boston (write-in)

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...