09 February 2005

In the interest of meme generation:

Where I've Watched the Super Bowl

XXXIX At my sister's house in New Hampshire. They just got a big screen TV (hadn't planned on having it in time for the game, but it was delivered early), so it was a better viewing experience than I'd had at home. Mostly family.

XXXVIII At home, which is how I wound up doing dishes during Nipplegate.

XXXVII At my neighbor's apartment at Babson. Wound up being a small gathering of work types, with none of us having a very strong interest in the game.

XXXVI At the house of the director of my former office. This worked out pretty well, as if there was going to be any rioting on campus after the game, all of us who'd have to respond were in the same place. There were a few non-Babsonites there, one of whom I don't think had ever seen a football game (live or televised).

I also got drink very old wine, bottled when the Pats first made the Super Bowl and saved by a co-worker who was, easily, the most ardent Pats fan I'd ever met. Still holds true.

XXXIII, XXXIV and XXXV Honestly, I have no idea. Home, probably. Though I have vague notions of seeing the final play in the St. Louis-Tennessee game on a large screen. So perhaps I went out for that one.

XXXII The then-apartment of the fabulous DeVeaus. Quite a game.

XXXI Went to a party at the American Legion hall in Manchester. Most notable here was the small card table set up in a corner and decorated in Packers colors - for my father. He always hated the Pats, mostly due to the Sullivan family.

XXX Home again, I think.

XXIX In the basement of a house belonging to the brother of someone I'd worked with. Pretty sweet set-up, a ceiling-mounted projection unit with a wall-sized screen. It was much more appreciated with a post-game viewing of Tombstone than during the game itself, given that it was over early.

XXVIII I may not have even watched this one, given how sick I was with the Cowboys. I don't recall doing anything special, at least.

XXVII For this one I spent most of the game in bed, the victim of food poisoning thanks to a Connecticut McDonald's. The blowout status of the game didn't help matters. I did manage to rouse myself at some point in the second half, but spent most of the time getting back into something resembling death warmed over rather than watch the end of the blowout.

XXVI Watched it at T's Pub, or watched as much as one could in such a crowded atmosphere. A fun time, at least.

XXV Headed for the student ghetto in Allston to watch the game at the apartment of a friend of a fellow RA. Proving that I don't learn, I also watched the BU-Norhern Michigan NCAA hockey final in this apartment. Where everyone else thinks of wide right, this Super Bowl reminds me of hitting posts in overtime.

At least Dave Emma didn't get his Hobey until sometime around 11 pm.

XXIV One of the small lounges on the second floor of Sleeper Hall used to have a ceiling-mounted projection TV. We got it going and figured it'd be a great place to watch the game. One problem: the projector would go out of focus when there was some sort of vibration (such as opening and/or closing a door). We muddled through, but part of me thinks the decline in my eyesight started this day.

I've never really cared for Denver, so I did watch all of this blow-out. That it erased the Patriots' record for biggest Super Bowl blowout was a plus as well.

XXIII Home or dorm room. Not sure.

XXII In an unusual move, I decided to take the train back from home to BU during the game. The logic, I think, was that there'd be fewer people, thus a quicker trip and less of the game missed. For the trip I had a Walkman with radio, so I could listen.

Except for that whole part of the trip from North Station to Kenmore Square when you're underground. Care to guess when Doug Williams went on his tear?

XXI Home, likely.

XX A bunch of us gathered at my friend Dean's house to watch what we thought would be a once-in-a-lifetime event. I mean, given what we'd seen of the Pats to then, who'd have expected a return trip?

The game was off by halftime. We spent the second half watching The Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie. A vast improvement.

IV through XIX Home, most likely, to the extent that I could watch the game for the earlier ones. The first one I really remember watching was XIII. I do remember missing a goodly chunk of XVIII thanks to CCD, as I was very surprised to hear that the Raiders had won.

I through III I suppose I could have caught some of III in utero, not by watching of course. Not even that was possible for I and II.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...