04 February 2005

With the Super Bowl being this Sunday, it's time for my fearless prediction: the Pats will win.

Were you expecting anything else?

Now, I don't have the cockiness that some fans do. I expect the game to be close. I hope the win won't come down to Adam Vinatieri's foot again, but it wouldn't shock me if it did, either. My thinking is that it'll be close for most of the game, with the Pats winning by a two-score margin thanks to some late points. Given the players and coaches that each team brings into the mix, though, there's very little that would surprise me.

Well, the Pats running the wishbone. That would surprise me.

I've managed to miss most of the hype these last couple of weeks by not watching televised sports news (or "news"), especially avoiding the half-hour specials our Fox affiliate has been running in place of the 7:30 Simpsons. No way I'm going to reward that sort of scheduling.

The one story I've found reasonably interesting is Jacksonville's performance as host. The gist of most of what I've heard is that the city isn't up to the challenge, which makes me worried that the game will fall into a regular Miami-New Orleans-San Diego orbit (with occasionall forays into Tampa and perhaps the Rose Bowl). I like the idea of non-traditional cities getting the game for variety's sake. After this year, though, the pressure will be on Detroit and Arizona to provide more amenities.

(That being said, I do wonder how much of what's being said is accurate and how much of it is media grumbling; Jon's posts on his work trips lead to some doubts on this topic.)

Still don't know what, if anything, I'm doing for the game. I don't even recall where I watched last year's game (I think it was at home; yup, I remember doing dishes during the "wardrobe malfunction"), so it's not like it's a huge concern.

3 comments:

Allyson said...

Actually, there was a story in the Boston Globe about how Jacksonville was far short of the number of hotel rooms the NFL requires its Super Bowl host cities to have within a certain radius of the site. To make up for it, the NFL brought in a giant cruise ship for league guests to stay on. Others in the city have been renting out their houses for the week for huge amounts of money. Then there are the people who are staying about two hours away from the field. I'll be content to watch from my living room, as this is the first time since the 1996 game that I will not be working.

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, and I haven't talked to either of our reporters down there, the city is woefully short on both hotel rooms and cabs. To me, that means not only can anyone stay close to the city, once they're in the city they better be ready to sit in gridlock thanks to all the rental cars.

However, it should never be forgotten that much of the media corps is made up of spoiled sons of bitches who assume they're entitled to free everything. Food. Presents. Parties. Drinks. The whole nine. They're very easy to hate, especially when they think anyone else cares.

Yeah, I'm not signing this, but you know who it is.

Anonymous said...

Don grew up in Jackonsville, and he said that if you have the money to go to the Super Bowl, there are good places to go/stay around the city. The downtown area by the stadium, however, is lacking. This from a native, not a hating sportswriter, so I think there may be some basis for all the whining. I don't mind articles mocking the host city, if they are well done. Most aren't. One article yesterday was about all the other articles mocking the host city, and using some recycled Jim Murray lines to show how he would have covered the city, so the desperation is really setting in. Still, as the other market in this madness, I can't imagine its easy to develop two weeks of stories when there is absolutely nothing to write about.

Also, as the other market in this game, cram your prediction. E-A-G-L-E-S. Eagles!!!!

Like I need to say it,

Chris

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...