27 February 2005

It's 11:40 and the Oscars are over. That's probably the one real surprise of the night.

Not too much I can say about the winners, outside of wondering when Martin Scorcese will finally win one. I mean, given the way his mom looked, Clint Eastwood has another couple of decades to go. Why not give Marty his due?

So here's a question. The guy who won for original song was in the audience, yet we have Carlos Santana and Antonio Banderas perform the song. I like Santana, and know that Banderas can sing to some extent, but if you have the original performer in the building, shouldn't they perform their own song? Given that he won the Oscar he probably minded a little less, but I'd be a bit ticked nonetheless.

Getting back to the time thing, I'm sure everyone will credit the changes in how awards were presented for the savings, and I'd have to say they helped. But I think the limits on performances and the special awards did just as much. It wasn't all that long ago we'd get an all-dancing tribute to sound editing. Thankfully, those days seem to be over.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...