23 February 2005

While I can't join in on the memorializing for Hunter S. Thompson (like others linked at left I never really "got" him, though I really liked Joe's excerpt), I would note the passing of Reggie Roby.

Roby had a long and highly successful career as a punter in the NFL, and even though he played many years for the hated Miami Dolphins, I always enjoyed watching Roby kick. Not only did he have tremendous leg extension - often looking like he was going to knee himself in the face - but his punts had amazing hang time. As has been often mentioned in articles about him, Roby liked to wear a watch during games so he could measure hang time.

Don Shula also noted that when the Dolphins played in domed stadiums, Roby liked to try to hit the roof with a punt, and was successful more than once.

Roby did something that none of the guys who punt today can do - make punting fun to watch. Like Reggie White, he died early - he was only 43 - which makes me think that other recent NFL retirees should get themselves to the doctor for a check up ASAP.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...