17 October 2005

Let me say this now, just in case I never get the chance to do so again this season:

The BU men's ice hockey team is alone atop the Hockey East standings.

Of course, they've won the only league game played in this young season. Odd to start the season with a league game, but I suppose the addition of Vermont to Hockey East is forcing some scheduling quirks. Though it now gives me an opportunity to go back to Burlington and actually spend a night in Vermont.

Given the reliance on youth, the Terriers had some good team play going on Saturday, moreso than in the recent past. I think I also saw more nifty skating and puck-handling that in that recent past, which is a welcome return to the days of the 1990s when we were awash with gifted players.

So there's room for optimism on Comm. Ave., and the pride in knowing that most of the teams picked above us in the pre-season coaches poll lost this past weekend (Maine had to show us up, beating Denver twice).

In vaguely related news, I was a captive audience for a chunk of the ND-USC game this past Saturday, in violation of my personal probation. Not sure of the best way to put myself on probation for this violation, but I'm sure it involves game tape from the Gerry Faust era. There was one TV in my location that had Michigan - Penn State, so I tried to focus on that. Sadly, I missed the ends of both games.

I also missed the end of the Pats-Broncos game, but that was by choice. I've seen enough trips to Denver that ended in a loss, I didn't need one more. Especially when the Pats mounted a reasonably good comeback from a horrific second quarter. The secondary needs help. Badly. Even with the likely return of Tedy Bruschi, which I find both amazing and foolhardy. Look what medical clearance did for Reggie Lewis.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...