16 November 2005

I'm a week behind in posting about bar trivia, the good part being that we returned to our trivia bully ways last week with a win. The bad part is that I now have a sheet of answers to which I'm not sure if I remember the questions. I'll do the best I can.

I'll post about this week next week, as the wife and I will be at the BU-Michigan hoops game at Harry's House. Come to think of it, we'll be there for BU-URI the following Tuesday, too. I'll have to talk her into playing the local game in Beverly one of these Sunday nights.

Anyway, some questions from the best of my recollections (and a couple rewritten a bit):

What 1981 movie was both Sean Penn's first and Tom Cruise's second? Taps (Greg) - We didn't remember this at all, which led us to guessing The Outsiders, which was clearly wrong from the year.

What are the birth stones for the following months: February, April, September, and November? Amethyst (Shawn), Diamond (Greg), Sapphire, Topaz - without getting too gender-stereotypical, the two women on the team got all of this pretty much as they were being said. I'd have known April; you'd think I'd remember November, it being the wife's birthstone and all.

What state ranks third, behind California and New York, in revenue from film, TV, and commerical production? North Carolina - The way the question was originally asked had North Carolina second, but as I couldn't remember the way it was worded I went with the way I could most easily verify. This was made a little easier for us when the emcee gave a clue of "Dawson's Creek," which was shot in Wilmington.

Twiggy Ramirez is the bassist for what band? Marilyn Manson (Greg) - We were stuck between the actual answer and Limp Bizkit. Well, not so much "we" as the one person on the team who'd heard of Twiggy Ramirez. He went with the not correct answer, which we could hardly fault him for, what with the lack of knowing.

What author created the wild beasts known as yahoos? Johnathan Swift (Jack) - In Gulliver's Travels, as indicated.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take the low-hanging fruit and point out that Swift created the yahoos in Gulliver's Travels. I'm bothered that I can't remember for whom Twiggy Ramirez plays, though.

Craig Barker said...

Oh please, BU, we beseech you, go easy on our hoops team for a change. Please, thank you!

Greg said...

Taps

Garnet, Diamond, upsidaisium, elbonium.

I'm tempted to say Illinois, of course, but I'm gonna say Georgia because of all the Turner stuff.

Marilyn Manson

Anonymous said...

February is Amethyst...

Shawn

Paul Crowley said...

It's killing me because I remember the movie but I can't spit out the title for the life of me. It's the one about the military school run by George Scott that the locals want to shut down and the cadets led by Timothy Hutton stage an armed sit-in. Sean, if I remember correctly goes out in a blaze of glory from a howitzer round while manning a .50 cal machine gun. Hopefully this will trigger someone else's memory and than I can smack myself in the forehead with a resounding Doh!

As for the state, I'll guess Florida with all the Disney and Universal Studio stuff in Orlando

Scott Monty said...

Due to its proximity to NY, I'm going with New Jersey.

Scott Monty said...

After rethinking it, I'm going to go with Hawaii (having remembered the outrageous prices for everything when I was there on my honeymoon).

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...