23 November 2005

OK, Craig, I hope you're happy - I got to go 0-2 for BU-Michigan basketball tilts, as the Wolverines made the trip east and knocked off the Terriers 51-46. Which bookends the 1989 Rumeal Robinson homecoming, a 73-65 win for Michigan.

Michigan got an early lead and was able to keep BU at bay most of the night, though we did get the deficit down to 2 in a number of places. It's hard to decide what was most frustrating:

* Michigan scoring 12 of the game's first 16 points,

* The number of shots missed by BU from within three feet (heck, one foot) of the basket,

* Guard Brian Macon continually falling for a hardwood version of the neutral zone trap - he'd get over half-court, bring the ball to the side, and get hemmed in by a couple of defenders. This had to have happened a good half-dozen times.

Even if the Michigan of now isn't quite the Michigan of the Fab 5, a threepeat would have been huge for a program like BU's. Now the hopes for a win over a "major" opponent lie in next Tuesday's game against URI (I have scant hopes of winning at George Washington, given that they've gotten back to top 25 form, and even if you don't consider Bucknell major, they play like they are; I suppose a win at UMass isn't completely out of the cards).

I just hope there's some sort of crowd. There was no listed attendance on the box score available from the BU athletic web site, but if I had to guess I'd say 2500 people were at the game. Which is pretty good for a BU hoops game, but sadly typical for the level of support the program gets.

On a vaguely related note, I was amused to see that Michigan has a guy whose sole job appears to be handling stools for the players to sit on during time-outs (picture, if you will, director's chairs without backs or arms). At the time out he'd set them up on the court in a little semi-circle, and when the time out was over he'd take them back and sit with them at the end of the bench.

I really hope this guy has duties I don't know about. Otherwise, I'd suggest to the Michigan tax-payers who read this that they should contact their elected officials.

Prior to the game, the wife and I had dinner at the Super 88 Market Food Connection, a food court connected to an Asian supermarket. It was fantastic! I had a chance to try both a grilled pork and a grilled beef bahn mi, a Vietnamese sub sandwich. I would highly recommend either; the pork has a somewhat sweet sauce, while the beef was quite spicy. And at only $2.75 a pop, it's hard to go wrong. Though next time, I'll try the pho with one of the sandwiches I haven't tried yet.

5 comments:

James said...

Given that, in their only exhibition game of the season, the Colonials fell behind by 16 points to Div2 Augusta State (but won), I fear GW will lose in ugly fashion at least once.

If not BU, maybe Norfolk St., Kennesaw St. (which is tonight) or St. Francis of Pennsylvania.

Craig Barker said...

Oh thank goodness! Thank goodness.

Anonymous said...

The chair guy is a student manager job and is unpaid. But if you're good, you can eventually get a much better basketball job, as one of my friends and then-student managers did when I was a student: http://www.fgcu.edu/athletics/mbasketball/coach.asp

Mark said...

The chair guy at the BU game was older than me. That or he looks really old for his age. Maybe it was a local alum who won a "be the chair guy" contest.

Anonymous said...

It might have been the administrative assistant, then. It's done by student managers for home games and bus-trip road games.


--Mike

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...