29 November 2005

Since we knew we weren't going to make our usual trivia game tonight, the wife and I decided to try the game at one of the local bars here. The bar's chalkboard advertised an 8 pm game, but it never materialized.

But in the spirit of the thing, here are five questions that I've come up with inspired by our attempt at local nerdiness:

What ale claims to be Ireland's oldest? Smithwicks (Ted) - since 1710, according to the advertising material they had at the bar.

What TV host's middle name, McFeeley, was the last name of his maternal grandfather? Fred Rogers (Scott) - this is in honor of New York Giants kicker (assuming he hasn't been cut yet) Jay Feely, who went 0-3 down the stretch in an OT loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

The name "cole slaw" came to English via "koolsla," a term for cabbage salad in what language? Dutch (Paul) - they aren't just about windmills, tulips, and lax drug laws.

Who hold the record for most consecutive games played in the NFL? Jeff Feagles (Brian) - I'm in JD's camp on this one, given the turnover at that position.

What explorer's first trip to North America was on the Matthew? Giovanni Caboto, aka John Cabot (Anthony) - as the bar is located on Cabot Street, I figured I'd throw this in for some nominal non-pop culture content.

5 comments:

Scott Monty said...

2) Mr. Fred Rogers

Brian said...

4) Jeff Feagles, but I'm leaving the "should a punter have the record" argument for another day

Paul Crowley said...

3. I believe that's Dutch.

Anthony said...

Giovanni Caboto

James said...

Admittedly, I was a bit stunned when I read my Giants preview newsletter in August to find out that Feagles would break the consecutive games played record this season.

But you have to give the guy SOME credit -- 18 years at a position where one screwup could put you on the unemployment line, and where turnover can be quite high for some teams (heck, just saw Sean Landeta got signed by the Eagles AGAIN. Maybe he wanted to mark the 20th anniversary of the whiff).

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...