08 June 2006

Book Log 2006 #22: Everything Bad is Good for You by Steven Johnson

Split into two parts, this book begins by making the argument that things like video games, movies, and TV are actually making us smarter (video games by requiring us to figure out rules and requirements as we play, TV and movies thanks to increasingly complex narrative). The second half makes the linkage to your brain and its development.

Or at least I think it does, as I didn't actually read the second half. For whatever reason, I never really fully engaged in this book. I like the premise, and the first part was certainly well-written enough, but it didn't click.

So I suppose I'd recommend it, though I'd be interested to see if other people can't quite get into it either.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...