15 July 2006

Two things that have struck me over the last couple of days:

1. There's an interesting parallel between Mitt Romney taking over the Salt Lake City Olympics and using that as a springboard to becoming governor and his stepping in to oversee the whole Big Dig mess, which could clearly be a springboard to something else.

Not sure if anyone else has made that connection yet - I have to think so - but if not, I'm claiming it.

2. On a less serious note, from seeing the trailer for Cars it struck me that it's really an animated remake of Doc Hollywood. Think about it - a hotshot from the "civilized world" finds himself stuck in a town that got passed by when the interstate came through, falls for a local woman who's had some experience in the world but returned home, and learns from an elder the beauty of small-town life.

Consider as well that Michael J. Fox gets stuck in his town when he has an accident with his red sports car - which, coincidentally (or not) is what Owen Wilson voices in Cars.

I'm also not sure if anyone's made this connection yet, either, but with my luck both movies were written by the same person.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...