08 August 2006

So I turn the big 3-7 today. OK, 37 isn't really "the big" anything.

With the work anniversary yesterday and the birthday today, I started thinking about what other people had accomplished by their 37th birthday. So I decided to find out the Internet way: go on Wikipedia and check the first 10 people to come up when I click on the "random article" link.

We have:

Paul Riley, who I assume was acting by the time he was 37. From the picture, I'm assuming he found his greatest success later, which is kind of comforting.

Nathan Eldon Tanner, who got himself elected to Alberta's provincial legislature before a later career in the Mormon church.

Tancredo Neves was in the middle of his rise in Brazilian politics, getting elected to the state legislature in Minas Gerais.

I have no idea what Nuala Ahern was doing, but I assume she was protesting against something.

I also am not quite sure what Pete Stemkowski was doing, but I assume it was related to making the transition from hockey player to hockey radio guy.

Zafar Ali Khan had, by this time, moved to Lahore and took over the Zamindar, a newspaper started by his father. According to the linked bio, he became known as the "father of Urdu journalism." Granted, he wasn't that when he was 37, but it's a hard quote to pass up.

Grace Jones released Slave to the Rhythm and played May Day in A View to a Kill. Not a bad year for her.

By the time he hit 37, Robert Dudley had already been imprisoned in the Tower of London, made Master of the Horse, been Elizabeth I's lover, lost his first wife under suspicious circumstances, was suggested as a potential husband for Mary, Queen of Scots, and was named the first Earl of Leicester. Busy guy.

Alton Parker was in his last year as a judge in the Supreme Court of New York, from whence he would rise to head the state's Court of Appeals and be the Democratic nominee for President in 1904.

Finally, we have Ben Hebard Fuller, who was still near the start of his career in the Marines. He was stationed in Hawaii when he was 37, having already fought with distinction in the Phillipines and China.

So there you have it. I've not been made a judge or canoodled with a monarch, but I've also not been to prison or made to pretend I find Roger Moore sexy.

1 comment:

Paul Crowley said...

Congrats, Mark. Good timing, a great reminder that I needed to get a birthday card for Salome :-P

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...