07 August 2006

Updates galore!

House - we had our home inspection on Thursday, and it was pretty much what we expected. The vast majority of problems are related to age and lack of proper maintenance. So while there's a pretty significant list of repairs, none of them were unexpected.

We're hammering out the financial things at a reasonable clip, still on course for our closing.

Work - we're registering incoming students, getting ready to graduate a bunch of seniors, and working with a pretty large group who are still getting financing in line. Today marks my one-year anniversary at the job (the actual date is tomorrow, but I started on this Monday last year), and I'm finally getting used to the rhythms of the office's combined missions. And as busy as it will get, I'll still get home at a normal hour most nights, which was pretty much unheard of when I was working in residence life.

Not that I don't miss certain aspects of that work, but I like getting home and finding my wife is still awake, or that I can actually celebrate my nephews' birthdays with them, rather than by proxy.

Life - speaking of the wife, spent the weekend with the in-laws in Maine. Got a couple of presents, had a family cookout, and went to the annual yard sale of my father-in-law's American Legion post. Most of the items purchased there will be given away in November to a few unlucky trash players, though I am keeping this word game.

Ephemera - my fantasy football league's annual draft is coming up on Sunday, and I'm woefully underprepared. Which is pretty much the way it's been the last couple of years. I find myself putting less effort into fantasy sports in general now than in the past, not sure what that means. Were it only in my league I'd assume it comes from the added work in running the league. But it also includes all the free games at ESPN and Yahoo (mostly the former), so I don't think it's that.

I've also not wanted to be on the computer as much when I'm home, given the heat we've had and how it tends to linger in the front room. That's a partial lame excuse for not blogging as frequently as usual.

Not too much else going on. Trying to keep up with a few summer series, missed on recording Life on Mars from the start and now don't know if/when I'll start it.

Which reminds me, head on over to Mike Burger's blog and follow the link to the Alison LaPlaca Open, his annual TV dead pool. I'll be defending my "I can't pick the rating for the Super Bowl" streak of picking 10 shows that get cancelled but losing the tie-breaker.

You should also point yourself to Craig's blog for his sidekick tournament, and to the Bruce's blog for a link to a tournament seeking out the wussiest song ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're keeping that game!?! I take you to that damn yard sale with the understanding that all the things you buy get given away at TRASH Regionals, and all the things I buy we keep!

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...