21 November 2006

As I'm wont to do when I have nothing to write about, I went back and looked at past entries from this time of year. Turns out I have a tendency to write about unseasonable warmth (which we had last week in spades; roughly a week ago from right now the car's outside thermometer read 70 degrees) and Thanksgiving food. Then I ran across a piece in the Globe about how no one's stuffing is as good as your mom's, but when you marry you get not only in-laws but their (inferior) stuffing.

This leads me to admit that I like my mother in law's stuffing quite a bit. It not really that comparable with my mom's, which was a much more traditional cooked inside the bird sort of affair. So, in this case, I feel completely justified at liking both versions.

I can't say the same for that staple of middlebrow American Thanksgivings, the green bean casserole topped with French's French Fried Onions. My mother in law doesn't make this (being English and all), and no one in my family makes anything close.

Getting back to the Globe article, the author also mentions that there are two types of families: football families and parade and dog show families. I grew up in the former, and while I don't care for the parade, I am very happy to flip between football and the dog show. This is especially true this year, given that the early game is Miami versus Detroit. If the turkey doesn't knock you out, this match-up will. Later offerings - Dallas versus Tampa Bay and BC versus the U of Miami - aren't much better. The best game of the day - Denver against KC - is on the NFL Network, which I don't believe my in-laws get anymore.

Maybe NBC can repeat the dog show?

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...