26 November 2006

Book Log 2006 #60 and 61: Dandelion Wine and Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury

In the summer between 7th and 8th grade, I participated in a summer reading group started by my 7th grade English teacher. Actually, "participated" is way too strong a word. I took the books home with every intention of reading. But as the days ticked off the calendar, I never quite got around to reading them.

So, on the day before we were supposed to meet to discuss the reading, I figured I should at least start one book, read what I could, and skim the rest. Taking the thinnest of the volumes, I dove in.

I never got around to skimming, and needless to say I never went to the meeting. But I did find a book that I've enjoyed ever since, and have returned to from time to time, much as the characters in the book would get some bracing from the title substance during the cold of winter.

Dandelion Wine struck a chord with me, probably due to the fact that I was not that much older than Douglas Spaulding, lived in a small town (smaller than Green Town, certainly), and, like Douglas, had a certain sense of nostalgia (though I don't think mine came from the same place as his). And while I'm taking away some different things from the book now that I'm older, I still enjoy seeing the transition from unfettered youth to the knowledge of what's to come.

Sadly, not much of this came over to Farewell Summer, the long in the making sequel. It's a much more straightforward work, where the conflict between young and old that slips in and out of Dandelion Wine comes home to roost. It's too literal and too linear, and is really kind of a downer. Do yourselves a favor and skip this.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...