19 April 2007

When I was working in residence life, the one issue that caused more personal discomfort than any other was student mental health. I was OK with the other difficult issues, but psychological issues always made me a little uncomfortable as I'm not a mental health professional. Even with the good guidance and support from other on-call staff, I always felt a little out of sync when working on these cases.

Not surprisingly, I've been thinking about this a bit this week. I've not come to any good conclusions, though. I have had the feeling that securing a college campus is next to impossible, which is hardly comforting. And I'm also pretty cheesed at the Boston Herald for their use of one of the photos sent to NBC as their front page. It's one where the gun is pointed at the camera, so you can imagine how that looks. I didn't need any confirmation that the Herald has lost what little taste it used to have, but there it is.

And to close, I'll pass on a request. The folks at Virginia Tech have asked that people wear orange and maroon tomorrow as a sign of solidarity with their community. That seems like the least we could do.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...