13 May 2002

I've never been much of a fan of car racing, but I have slowly developed a taste for Formula 1 racing. I suppose it comes from seeing the Monaco Grand Prix every year as a kid, which fascinated me not only because of the surroundings, but because these guys were racing on city streets! Much cooler than the 500 miles of left-hand turns that Indy cars and NASCAR provide.

Thanks to the magic of 24 hour sports programming, every Formula 1 race is televised, often live (if you don't mind getting up early on a Sunday). From watching races the last few years, the F1 luster from my once a year watching is well worn.

This comes in part from the general predictability of the races. No one wins after starting in, say, 23rd place. The winner will likely come off of the first three rows, and will probably drive for one of three teams. The only way this changes is when, as in the opening race this year in Australia, there's a major crash.

But now, on top of the predictability, there's team collusion. This isn't the first time a driver's been ordered to throw a race, and there is a certain logic to it, but if you like competition, the idea that the winner should be the person who actually deserves it based on that day's performance, this result stinks to high heaven.

What stinks even more is that the driver who pulled over, Rubens Barrichello, just signed a 2 year extension with Ferarri, meaning that he'll be pulling over for Michael Schumacher for years to come. I've never cared for Schumacher, but I wonder if it's the team I should really hold accountable.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...