28 April 2003

Things That Disturb #433: A Mary Kate and Ashley poster on the wall of a college residence hall suite that houses six male seniors.

Spent the weekend at the College Bowl, Inc. National Championship Tournament, an event that I imagine most of you know at least a little about, but sufficiently few of you care about deeply enough for me to bust into full recap mode. Drop me a line if you're interested in my perspective.

Of more interest is that I got to ride the SEPTA blue line, filling my public transportation jones. It was also Penn Relays weekend, so there were a goodly number of people about, but not as crazy as I expected. I also got to witness the aftermath of Hey Day, a UPenn tradition related to juniors becoming seniors and hat biting (scroll down for the relevant info).

At least one participant at the NCT also took on a culinary challenge by eating at Masaharu Morimoto's restaurant. I'll have to see if I can get a review from her or her husband.

The main problem of the weekend: traffic. 95 was horrific around NYC both coming and going, adding at least an hour to the trip on each leg. It was a great combination of volume, construction, too many EZ Pass lanes at the GW Bridge tolls, and accidents. I don't know if the Tappan Zee would have been any faster, but it couldn't have been worse. Unless the bridge collapsed in mid-transit.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...