24 April 2003

While it shouldn't be surprising, I've finally be accused of being anti-Mormon. A reader writes:

You should proably back off the mormon tiff you have going on on your web site. i.e. "(Perhaps I should institute a daily Mormon update? I've got a couple days covered by Carmen Rasmussen, and as long as the Mavs keep playing Shawn Bradley is available.)"


If you knew anything about the religion then maybe we someone could listen to your opinion with some respect. However, since you know nothing of the religion or it's people, your views are entirely jaded and totally incredible. You should learn about your subject matter before you try to bash it...it might make your website posting sound more intelligent and be more interesting.


Apparently, Carmen Rasmussen can spread her evil power even after getting drummed off of American Idol. Seriously, though, three notes:

1. Some things I write here are serious, the rest isn't. I assume that you can tell the difference. Most people can, but some clearly cannot. Knowing me helps, but isn't required. Also, not everything I write is comedic gold (please control your horrified gasps).

2. Remember that to assume makes an ass out of you and me, except in this case where it's mostly you (I can make a perfectly good ass out of myself, thanks). While I will never claim to have a deep or true understanding of the Mormon faith, neither would I use the above words, "knowing nothing of the religion or it's people" to describe what I know about it.

In my current job, I work with Mormon students. Not many, but more than one. Between the most recent Winter Olympics and Mitt Romney's election as governor of Massachusetts, I've done some light reading on Mormonism, both web-based and the book Mormon America, which may not be the best book about the religion out there, but is more than "nothing." Oh, by the way, if you really want to find people in a "tiff" with Mormonism, check out some of the reviews for the book.

Did it ever cross your mind that what I said wasn't exactly meant as an analysis of the religion?

3. Reading is fundamental, hyperbole is not. I've not declaimed against the evils of the Mormon faith, tried to prove it in error based on the Bible, poke holes in its history, muse about the undergarments, etc. At worst I've been insensitive in where I've found humor. I don't think so, but I can see where some may think it. Where nothing I've written was a specific attack on the religion, you may want to dial down the "bashing" talk. People take you more seriously when your complaint actually makes sense in a proportional fashion to what you deem offending.

Oh, yeah, one other thing. You stated "your views are entirely jaded and totally incredible." That's a bold statement, especially when I've not expressed a single "view" on the topic. Though I'm sure a humorless approach to religion mixed with the assumption that I can't even spell Mormon allowed you to come up with whatever "views" you think I had.

So much for talking about my favorite and least-favorite current TV commercials.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...