20 April 2003

A weekend of mostly sitting around the house leads me to make the following TV recommendations:

A big up for Breed All About It, the Animal Planet program that introduces viewers to a specific dog breed. Saw back to back episodes yesterday; the one about the Labrador family wasn't that enlightening (they spent a lot of time talking about Labs as helper dogs), but the one about cairn terriers was very interesting (they've very cute, but require a lot of exercise). It appears to be a weekend morning show, so if you're up at 9 am and thinking about dogs, tune in.

Tenative ups for Lucky the fX series about a compulsive gambler in Las Vegas. I'm not a huge John Corbett fan, but he plays the part well. It's only a half hour, which is probably for the best (an hour could get really tiresome). I was surprised at the language (apparently "shit" is in play for basic cable, but then again hasn't South Park used it in episodes?), but for the most part it's not swearing just because they can swear. Dan Hedaya (best known, to me at least, for playing Nick Tortelli on Cheers and The Tortellis- which, as I think of it, also set in Vegas) has a recurring role as a loanshark.

Not such big ups for the continuing Scott and Laci Peterson case. I suppose this is one of those times where I don't get the public appeal of what's passing for the big news item. I'm not doubting if it is news, I just don't think it's the biggest news story going on right now. To quote Don Henley: "It's interesting when people die/ Give us dirty laundry."

(For a song that came out when I was in high school, it just gets more and more relevant)

I took Greg's advice and tuned in to the curling coverage on NBC and was highly entertained. Sadly, there is no suggestion section on the Wheaties website.

Not much else on. Sarah's mom and sister are here, and I've been spared a huge run of Trading Spaces as they've been showing the same three episodes all weekend. I have trouble watching an entire hour of the show, but keeping tabs on it during the hour isn't bad. Paige Davis is annoying, but I'm sure I'm not telling anyone who watches the show regularly something they don't already know.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...