23 November 2003

I finally said goodbye to my Mac Classic today.

Bought in 1991 just as it was becoming obsolete (or perhaps just after it did), I've dragged the thing around for a while until I could get things transfered from it to the current machine (a balky external drive was slowing things down, but I finally got it straightened out). It wasn't too bad, outside of having to load things one floppy at a time (and copy, at least on one end, at speeds that were state of the art in, say, 1988).

In any case, it's been interesting to go through some of the old stuff. I've found many of the top 10 lists I was required to compile during my turn as BUCB ombudsman, and they're all excellent proof as to the subjective, and often short-lived, nature of humor. A good three-quarters of the entries make no sense. You could argue they didn't at the time, either, but the gossamer nature of context puts all such argument to rest. Some of the entries are funny as stand-alone statements or because they reference people I still know, so there's at least that.

Playing some of the old games has been fun, too, though many of the old games are a little buggy. At some point nostalgia will give way to practicality and I'll toss the less reliable games, but for now I'm working through the best I can.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...