05 November 2003

I was among the many that ran right out today and saw The Matrix Revolutions, mostly because if I didn't see it with coworkers today I'd probably not see it in the theater. I'd heard a lot of chatter about highly negative reviews, and while I don't think the movie was as bad as all that (I liked it better than the middle film), I can't say I'm particularly satisfied. This is in part due to the ending (which I won't go into), and part a shift away from the characters who've taken us through the story (especially Morpheus) and towards large battle scenes.

We did see the movie on an IMAX screen, which was a nice upgrade. We didn't see a lot of wannabe Neos or Trinities (apparently the first showing attracted some, which I suppose makes sense given that only the most obsessed would go to the 2:30 showing), but there was a preponderance of dorks in long coats. We had a trio of guys working their Blackberry and Wi-Fi in line, undoubtedly talking to Matrix fans in Europe or something.

While the holiday season isn't bringing a ton of films that I want to see, I am looking forward to Master and Commander, the first film based on the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. I've only read the first book (there's something like 20), and I really should re-read it given that I didn't give it as much focus as I'd have liked the first time around.

I am very much not looking forward to the new Loony Tunes movie. Apparently, no one at Warner remembers Space Jam. I was looking forward somewhat to Timeline until I found out it stars Paul Walker. I'll probably just re-read the book.

As for period pieces,The Last Samurai? Doubtful. I have a feeling I'll see Girl with a Pearl Earring given that Sarah read the book and liked it. Sticking with books, but out of period, I think I'd also like to see The Statement, based on a book by Brian Moore (whose novels, all seemingly under 200 pages, suggest that there is a way to write successful fiction without using twice as many words). And, oh yeah, there's that last Lord of the Rings movie, too.



No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...