27 July 2004

My trip into Boston today was, from a transportation point of view, anti-climactic.  Both trips took under an hour, helped no doubt by my not traveling during peak times.  Security was present in some areas (didn't see any at the Beverly depot), but I don't think I drew more than a cursory glance.  I did a little better in the swag department than Sarah, as I got a free T token (taped to a flier from a mortgage company) and free passes on a gambling cruise out of Gloucester. 

Security was much more obvious once I got into Boston.  One of the first sights present when I surfaced at Government Center was a gaggle of MPs.  There was a very visible presence by the US Park Police in the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area.  One thing I found interesting was the ring of metal barriers around Faneuil Hall, every third or fourth one bearing a small paper sign reassuring me that the shops in the hall were still open. 

MSNBC had a tent set up on the south side of Quincy Market, which drew a crowd.  I saw one guy being interviewed by a Japanese camera crew, and another guy in a W mask (but wearing several pro-Kerry pins) got his face time, too.  The opposition was represented, too, but by two guys in their early 20s bearing homemade signs.  One of the guys was wearing a visor backwards and slightly askew, a look that always makes me want to slap the wearer.  I hope they aren't on the campaign payroll.

Anyway, there is a definite security presence, but I didn't feel too locked down.  Then again, I didn't try to get too close to the Fleet Center.

The crowds weren't too bad, either.  Lots of convention types (or at least people wearing what looked like credentials, so some of them were likely media) and locals, of course.  According to Sarah, the local action news folks (WHDH, channel 7) had some story on their news today talking about how there were fewer people in Boston this week as compared to last week, and that the convention folks overstated the problems with coming into town.  Sarah and I both thought that actually was the point of what they've been saying for the last 6 months - to get people to stay away if they didn't have to go into Boston.

That being said, it was hardly a ghost town. 

I won't go too far in depth into the interview.  I don't think it went all that well, but as it's my first interview outside of higher education in some time, my antennae may not be fully calibrated.  That being said, I don't expect my call next week will be of the hiring kind.

On the way back home, I could swear there was a guy on the T who I knew somewhat from BU going back to my senior year doing data entry for the physical plant office.  I don't think he's worked at BU for a good 10 years, but I swear I see him from time to time.  It's not like we were tight, so I don't feel compelled to make a re-introduction, but it's funny that someone on that sort of tangent continues to make an appearance, even if it's of my own making.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...