24 September 2004

Got to sub for the shop teacher the last couple of days, which was pretty good work. Worst part being that I had to show the same video to three different classes each day. There is now one episode each of Junkyard Mega-Wars and Mega Machines more or less permanently burned into my brain. If you ever need to know how to build a truck that can carry a vat of liquid without losing much, or want to hear about what might be the world's largest carrot harvester, drop me a line.

I also got to show another tape twice, but only once per day. So I'm less sick of hearing about Sky City, a proposed 3300 foot residential tower for Tokyo that would house 130,000 people. Let the dystopia begin!

But I shouldn't complain, it went pretty smoothly. I will note that the students were very adept at finding bits of wood and plastic to hit each other with, though once I confiscated a couple of pieces they tended to stop looking for replacements.

Next week I get to sub three days in an English class, but from talking to the teacher it sounds like I'll more be overseeing study hall. There will be some work assigned, but the teacher didn't seem to care what work they did as long as the assignments are completed on time. I suppose I'll get more reading done.

In Red Sox news, I was chagrined to read that the brain trust that runs MLB has banned Johnny Pesky from sitting in the dugout during games. Pesky himself seems OK with it - he spent half an hour talking to the apparatchik who sent him the letter - but from Pesky's comments it sounds like someone complained about his being there. I can understand that you don't want to give free passes for the dugout, but complaining about a guy like Pesky is a small, cheap thing to do.

It's good to know that the folks running the league are focusing on the important issues, like spare octogenarians in dugouts and pine tar that covers team logos. These are the issues that are tearing the league apart.

4 comments:

James said...

So as a substitute shop teacher, you're halfway between Hank Hill and Generic Sub #47.

You'll actually teach the students something shop-related, but won't actually take hold of the T-square or drill bit.

Mark said...

I could never approach either Hank or Peggy - I'm not handy, so I couldn't teach anything in shop, and I'm not that good at Boggle.

Given that the ad looking for subs noted that a college degree was preferred, I don't think they're looking for too much instructional capacity from us subs (not to mention they'd have to pay us more).

Anonymous said...

In my brief period (2 months) of substitute teaching I learned they do not want you to instruct the students, apparently they discourage people from using there education to dispute the almighty textbooks even when it lists the Stalin as the leader of Nazi Germany and Potsdam as a city in upstate New York.

Craig Barker said...

Mark,

If it makes you feel any better, not only to I get all of my Law & Order fix, but the Time Life Lost Civilization's series is narrated by him, so during September and October, the voice of Jack McCoy explains Egypt, Mesopotamia, Tibet (which is required by U.S. law to feature a cameo appearance by Richard Gere), China, the Aegean culture, Greece, and Rome. I would be upset by this, but I have the note taking assignment down to a science.

Your issue also explains why I my fake Boston accent basically sounds like Steven Culp's Bobby Kennedy after I have now seen 13 Days approximately 18 times for class, not counting the five I have watched it on my own. Could be worse, the Philip Glass score of Fog of War is still seared into my brain.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...