22 September 2004

With the new TV season started, I've decided to change my approach towards reality shows. I'm limiting myself to one comment per week per show, tops. You may not even get that out of American Idol should it continue its trend of dullness. Maybe Ryan Seacrest's sunless tanners and hair lighteners will finally combine to make him the same shade of orangey-blond from head to toe. I'd write about that.

Anyway, America's Next Top Model started tonight on UPN. Too early to say much about it, other than they've bumped up the number of finalists to 14. That's a lot. It'll help fill out the season, but I blame The Apprentice and its large contestant base (or maybe just Mark Burnett - Survivor's got a big cast to start, too, don't they?). Regardless, it's been a pretty solid show for the genre, so take a look.

Speaking of The Apprentice, they've been trying to set up this guy named Raj as this year's Sam. Raj is a character, but he's so different from Sam that the comparison will never work (and to some extent I think they've discovered that, as they've moved on to trying to create this year's Omarosa). Anyway, in the first episode Raj shows up to the first task toting a cane, which Trump asks him about. I was praying he would respond with "You know the saying, Mr. Trump: everybody loves a cane" or that it was perfect cane weather.

Further evidence of Raj's dandyish mode of dress would be his collection of bow ties (with apologies to Monty) and that he appeared to be wearing spats in that first episode, too. Not while brandishing his walking stick, sadly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping that Trump would grab the cane and break it only to have Raj catch another one frome off camera. Alas I'm guessing that self-awareness and self-deprecation doesn't run real high among reality contestants.

Hyph ("This one I like, I keep.")

Scott Monty said...

Spats, a cane... With a monacle, Raj can become Mr. Peanut. "Everybody loves Mr. Peanut, Mr. Trump." His bow tie collection seemed to work for the ice cream task. Too bad he didn't have seersucker suits for everyone.

Greg said...

You need to watch Lost on Wednesdays. The first hour was excellent.

For your ANTM fix, you can catch the rerun on Friday.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...