09 September 2004

So now that we've gotten the server issues solved, our dial-up at home is being cranky. I think it's more the BU modem pool than anything else, but regardless it's annoying. My sister in law just got DSL (she works from home), so I'll have to see how she does before taking the plunge.

So the reasonably big news is that I'm working again - sort of. I am substitute teaching at my old high school, making my first appearance in that role yesterday (this a scant week after applying). There were all sorts of deja vu moments, from the mostly familiar surroundings to the teachers who are still there when I was a student. They helped cover the moments when I had no idea what I was doing, which were legion.

I subbed for a resource room teacher, which is kind of like working a structured study hall (there's more that goes into it, of course, but from a sub's perspective it's the first way I'd describe it). Each teacher has one or two students per block that they work with to make sure assignments are being kept up with and to provide assistance if needed. One of the other teachers noted that the students work pretty independently, which was true to form (I also think they were more than willing to skirt things with a sub, which is hardly surprising).

I also got to take some class notes, sitting in on classes in science, history, and math. That was very odd, as I've gotten used to a greater amount of information presented in longer bursts. It was also a little disconcerting to have two of the teachers be younger than me, but that's one of those things that's just going to get worse.

Our school system regionalized with Essex (an even smaller town next to Manchester), and this year marks the first year that the towns have a combined middle school (previously Essex had their kids through 8th grade and then sent them to the high school). They've shoehorned the middle school into the old junior high wing, to which they've added on some "modular classrooms" (read: trailers). There are plans to build both new middle and high schools, but there are various issues holding things up (Manchester parents trying to minimize travel time to any possible school in Essex, and Essex residents trying to get beach rights in Manchester in return for such concessions).

The end result is that the school is pretty darn full, which makes traversing the hallways much more of a chore than in the past. And then there's lunch, which is more crowded and (I think) shorter than in my day. It was bedlam, really. Everyone really needs to suck it up and get some ground broken.

Anyway, as surreal as the day was at times, I am looking forward to going back tomorrow. Sarah thinks that I should venture into teaching full time, I'm still not sure. We'll see how it goes if I ever get in front of a live classroom.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...