27 October 2004

OK, now I'll talk about the Sox.

(Don't take this as overconfidence; given that the Sox came back from a 3-0 defecit to get to the Series, I am well aware that Fate could very well conspire to have it done to them on the game's biggest stage.)

I have to admit to a fair amount of surprise at the 3-0 lead, especially given the offensive output in the first game. As much as having both Schilling and Pedro was supposed to work this way, it's rarely seemed like it was going to work out as hoped.

Then again, that's why Theo is the GM and I'm not.

I'm also still trying to divine something from the Sox making four errors in each of the first two games, and then getting its biggest defensive plays in game 3 from Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz. Granted, you can pin the Ortiz play on Jeff Suppan's bad base-running. You should also remember that Suppan started his career in Boston.

Also, I'm hoping last night was not the last time we see Pedro throwing for the Sox, but I'm not sure he and the team will come to an agreement. On some level I think Pedro still thinks of himself in terms of 5 to 7 years ago, while I think the team will hammer on his fragility and diminishing effectiveness after 100 pitches to squeeze him.

On a lighter note, would it have been too hard for Manny to win us all a taco in the first inning?

I can only say two things about the Fox coverage: they need to find a way to start the games before 8 pm Eastern and they need to bring Al Leiter back. I am pleased that Scooter hasn't come back, though I wish Tim McCarver would go look for him.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go barricade the door and put plywood over the windows. Just in case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not only did the Red Sox win, but we won't have to listen to Tim McCarver until May, maybe by then he'll learn that coloring your hair at home isn't worth the savings.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...