23 October 2004

With the start of the World Series tonight, I've been thinking quite a bit about 1986.

And no, not about that play.

When the Series started that year, I was actually in New York. An open weekend in the football schedule allowed me to go to a debate tournament at the Bronx High School of Science. You'd think that a Sox fan in the Bronx that weekend would have gotten a lot of grief, but there's a certain percentage of Yankees fans who saw a Mets win as even worse than a Sox win. Being from Boston got some of my teammates free food at a deli, even.

I remember watching game 1 at the Carvel Inn, which was related to the Carvel ice cream folks of Cookie O'Puss and Fudgie the Whale fame. At least I hope they were connected, otherwise the gilded ice cream cone in the lobby would be hard to explain. This was also the first time I'd participated in getting pizza delivered (even now, I don't think you can get delivery in Manchester), and we got to needle the delivery guy by telling him the Sox were winning (the hotel being squarely in Mets territory).

We listened to game 2 on the way home from the tournament, which was problematic given all the chatter in the van. Pretending to be asleep helped for a while, but I came too close to actual sleep for this to work for the long-term.

Jump now to the dreaded sixth game at my friend Dean's house. Me, Dean, and two of his brothers are watching the game, and three of us are going nutty just where you'd expect us to go nutty. One of Dean's brothers - clearly more versed in the ways of the Sox - predicted that they'd screw up. You know the rest of the story.

Suffice it to say that I won't be watching any of this Series at Dean's house.

Looking back on the whole thing, I think I took the Series for granted in '86. The Celts were in the middle of their run with the Big Three, and the success of the Sox just seemed to follow along naturally. Even with the Pats' success now, I'm not making the same mistake this time around. It's safe to say that most of the region is following suit, though perhaps to an extent that would have been downright bizarre 18 years ago.

To that end, I will ask that if you're in the Boston area, and you don't actually have a ticket to one of the games, please STAY HOME. The last thing we need is more of the madness that followed the ALCS. I've bemoaned post-playoff violence before, and have liked to think that we weren't going in that direction. Clearly, though, we are, and that saddens me, even moreso when someone gets killed.

I'd like to think that the city will handle Series security similarly to the DNC, which seemed to go off pretty well (no one died, at least). I fear that the powers that be aren't up to the challenge, though. Don't be surprised if you see the National Guard around.

1 comment:

Craig Barker said...

Mark, I agree with your point on post-playoff series violence. Can I please request that people stop using Detroit as their example of this, especially since we have been post-playoff violence free since 1984.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...