01 October 2004

So if you're a teacher, and you leave your sub to show a video during the last block of the last day of the week, do your sub two favors:

1. Have a task associated with the movie - worksheet, notes, quiz, something. Otherwise there'll be little attention paid.

2. Choose a video with a faster pace that would require more attention. The one I got to show today - a National Geographic special on rain forests - had more focus on visual, with good-sized gaps where students felt free to add their own commentary. I actually asked one kid, "Are you going to make noise during every second of this movie?"

It probably sounds worse than it was, but a little more structure would have gone a long way.

Turns out we did have the debate on last night, though I can't say that I actually watched it. It was more on in the background more than anything else. Just from tone I got the sense that Kerry was doing a pretty good job, as W almost sounded whiny at times. Maybe next time I'll watch with the mute on and try to figure out the "winner" based on facial expressions and body language.

2 comments:

Scott Monty said...

I can't say there's a clear winner based on facial expressions. Dubya had too much grimace, smirk, and disinterest, while Kerryakis had none - probably due to the amount of Botox pumped into his forehead.

Perhaps we should judge based on how they translate into Spanish, if you can watch the debates on Univision.

Mark said...

Too bad they don't do Spanish audio on SAP - we could judge on whose interpreter sounds more Presidential. Of course, if it was on SAP we'd have to have Jerry Remy saying "buenos noches, amigos!" like does before every Sox night game.

One article I read noted something about a Kerry smile - my guess is he was using it in a smirk-like capacity (unless it was permasmile from the Botox, like what Jennifer Coolidge had in those ads for A Cinderella Story - man was I mad that wasn't about Bill Murray's golf book).

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...