02 April 2005

I wrote a post about John Paul II, but it wound up getting eaten. Which probably isn't a bad thing, as I don't think it was very good. Suffice it to say I'm pretty conflicted, as for every positive you can point at something that doesn't sit so well.

So I'm not even going to bother to recreate the post. Were I a better Catholic (or a better person, for that matter), I'd make some commitment to being more involved in my faith. Knowing who I am, though, I'll just continue to feed that typical (or stereotypical) divide American Catholics have of appreciating the Pope while not caring as much for all of those faith and morals issues where he says things that clash with our secular American values.

So after all that typing, I'm vaguely dissatisfied with the results. That's probably a metaphor for something.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I can relate. I was already identifying myself as ex-Catholic when John Paul II was elected (never been "anti", just "ex", and I'm sure I'm still on the rolls at St. Adalbert's and with the Archdiocese of Hartford). I've always had a secret admiration for the man, though. We don't often encounter leaders, whether we agree with them or not, who live so completely and consistently within their convictions. He always lived and spoke his conscience, and seemed to be totally fearless, in the best possible way.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...