08 October 2009

Book Log 2009 #37: The Immaculate Deception by Iain Pears

This is the last of the series of art theft mysteries featuring British art dealer turned academic Jonathan Argyll and his wife, the acting chief of Rome's art theft polce squad, Flavia di Stefano, and to mark the end the book has a very different approach from the others. Government intrigue and long-hidden secrets are at the forefront, and while the tone isn't exactly dark, it's certainly cloudier than the other books in the series.

I will admit to being a little put off by this change, and I'm not sure if I'm thrilled at how it all turned out. There's one major personal revelation that comes a bit out of left field, and I can't say the sudden focus on political matters was all that welcome. It's not a bad book per se, but I was a little disappointed that the series ended on this note.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...