17 October 2009

Book Log 2009 #41: Holy Hullabaloos by Jay Wexler

Part travelogue, part hornbook on religion and the First Amendment, this may be the funniest book you could use to prepare for a Constitution Law final. In it, Jay visits places that were the settings for important church-state legal cases, and often gets a chance to speak with some of the litigants. Jay explains the law in a way that's easy to understand, though I think that conservatives and evangelicals will not appreciate his arguments or his humor (especially in how he skewers the affrontery known as the Creation Museum).

In the interest of full disclosure, I should note that I knew Jay fairly well back in high school, thanks to debate. Jay parlayed that into becoming a legal scholar and prolific writer, while I author a blog with a readership in the high single digits. That actually kind of tracks our relative debate success, now that I think of it.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...