29 October 2009

Book Log 2009 #44: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling

I never quite expected a Harry Potter book to have a body count rivaling 24, but I suppose I should have expected it with this final showdown between good and evil. I'm not necessarily complaining, mind you, but I'll admit to being taken back a bit.

That sorted itself out a bit over the long middle of the book, where it seems like Harry, Hermione and Ron spend several hundred pages camping. It's a lot of down time for a book that begins and ends with a fair amount of action, but it does help to fit in some of the exposition that gets us to find out just what the Deathly Hallows are and how they might relate to finally defeating Voldemort.

All in all it's a fitting end to the series, but I will admit to being a little disappointed in the epilogue, which gives us a very small peek into the adult lives of the main characters. There's not that much information about their lives, and it's wholly silent on the bulk of the supporting characters. I wanted to know more, and was left wanting.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...