28 July 2003

And, for the want of anything else to post about, my weekend.

Friday started off as a slow day off, but ended with an unscheduled trip to the Registry of Motor Vehicles to get a new ID (my old one being 15 years old and bearing the address of a house my family no longer owns or occupies).

It actually went fairly smoothly, with one exception. When you first get to the Registry branch in Boston, you check in with a greeter, tell them what you need, and the greeter generates a number. You then go to the appropriate floor and wait for your number.

The problem (or at least what seemed to be a problem) came when a person who I assume is a manager started pulling people out of order based on what they needed. If you were, say, converting an out-of-state license or renewing/replacing a license and using the same picture, you got put in a line. If you were me, just needing a new ID, you waited with the numbers.

This led to numbers being called out of sequence to get them off the system. Which was confusing, at the least, and perhaps unfair as it means that folks who got to the Registry after I did were helped before me.

Not that it mattered a great deal, my wait time was pretty much what was expected given the information on the Registry web site (you can get current wait times for each branch, which should tell you something about the Registry).

A query for those of you from other states: do you get your license immediately, or do you get a temp and have the permanent one mailed to you? I got a paper temp and will get the actual card within 30 days. Considering that I have co-workers who converted from out of state and took months to get their licenses, I'm wary.

Otherwise, slow day. I did get to see the episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation that had Kirsten Dunst play an alien kid who is part of a chain of events that reveal a dark page in the history of the Troi family. Woo.

Saturday saw Sarah and I go to the Museum of Fine Arts to take in the Gainsborough exhibit. Not bad, though I have to say that art is not one of my better things. I always feel like I'm missing something. Sarah got the audio tour, which helped me catch things I'd have missed otherwise.

We then walked around at some of the other exhibits, and I realized that I was getting the MFA and the Philadelphia Museum of Art confused with some of their holdings. Considering I've been to the Philadelphia museum once (and that was at least 10 years ago), you can tell how often I get to the MFA.

In any case, we stayed until closing time, and learned at lunch that naming your kids Gideon and Allegra probably says more about you than your own first impression.

Sunday was the day we didn't do much of anything, outside of head up to Peabody to have dinner with my brother and sister-in-law. We did watch the pathetic CBS coverage of the Tour de France. I won't get started.

I also managed, for like the thousandth time in my life, to turn away from a Sox game, only to find the Sox in the lead upon my return. So, yes, I missed them putting six runs on the Yankees in one inning. Damn.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...