17 August 2004

A couple of firsts to note from Athens today.

The United Arab Emirates got their first gold ever, as Ahmed Al Maktoum won the double trap shooting event. That'll show those punks from the Great Outdoors Games.

The silver went to a shooter from India, which makes me wonder what sort of odds I could have gotten for that 1-2 in any sport.

Women's individual sabre fencing, a new event, brought the US its first fencing medal in something like 100 years. It surprisingly did not go to the American who is the world ranked number one; she finished third. Instead, a 19 year old woman who made the Olympics when a Nigerian fencer dropped out took the top prize, winning over a fencer from China. What little they showed of it on NBC primetime was fun to see, even if it did take me a second to realize that when a fencer's helmet lights up it means they scored the point. I was taking a lazer tag approach and figured they were the one getting touched.

Fencing is one of Bravo's sports, so keep your eyes peeled there.

I also found the first sport that I don't care to watch - sailing. There are like 20 tiny boats out there, and it's less play by play than longish recap. I slogged through half an hour of sailing early this morning in the hopes of seeing some judo or something, but couldn't stay awake. If I never see another Finn class boat again it won't bother me.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...