14 August 2004

While there's a good 20 hours of coverage left today (OK, maybe not, but it feels like it with 5 networks in play), here's my somewhat stupid Olympic story of the day:

Volleyball is cool.

Watching a couple of indoor matches today (Germany's surprise win over Cuba and the US loss to China), I remembered how much I like the sport. I've never taken to the beach variety for some reason, and it's hard to see the indoor one outside of Olympics or NCAA tournaments (which always seem to air on weekday afternoons on ESPN).

My one real solid memory of the first Goodwill Games (outside of motoball, soccer played on some sort of moped/dirtbike/motorcycle) was the volleyball tournaments, as I got to watch the bulk of them when not pumping gas (a job I had for about a year, was more fun than you'd think, mostly because the owners trusted me enough to let me work alone).

Along the lines of Olympic objectification, I do wonder why the US women's volleyball team doesn't get more of the Jennie Finch treatment, what with the being in shape and the long legs and all. None of them have quite the Barbie quality that Finch does, I suppose. It also helps that (a) Finch is dating some major leaguer whose name I can't remember, and (b) softball is likely to win gold, while volleyball likely won't medal at all.

That being said, watch more volleyball.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...